This is truly good news. Scrivens has improved each year he’s played in the NHL and in his time with the Oilers he’s proved that his numbers in LA are no fluke. Since the Oilers acquired Scrivens from LA for a third-round draft pick he has posted a .940 save percentage and a 2.15 goals against average in seven games.
The deal will pay Scrivens 2.3 million per season and give him the opportunity to prove that he has the stuff to be an NHL starter.
Craig Mactavish and the Edmonton Oilers made a couple of moves on friday in an attempt to improve the team. First the Oilers traded stay at home Defensmen Ladi Smid and AHL goalie Olivier Roy to the Calgary Flames for goalie prospect Laurent Brossoit and C Roman Horak. Mactavish followed up the trade with the UFA signing of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov to a 1yr 1.75M contract. Continue reading
Coming into the off-season I identified the following as the key areas that Mact would need to improve the team:
- Top 6 LW: 20pts – Mactavish will need to sign a legit top 6 forward with NHL experience who has size, grit and skill to get full points.
- 3rd Line Center:15pts – To get full points here MacT will need to land a big 2-way center who can win faceoffs, kill penalties and provide secondary scoring
- Size in the bottom 6: 15pts – The Oilers need 2 or 3 bottom 6 wingers who can contribute secondary 5×5 scoring. Grit and size recommended.
- Top 4 D-man: 20pts – With NHL experience so Belov doesn’t count. Full points for a big D-man under the age of 30 with NHL experience who is a good skater and can move the puck.
- Top 6 D-man: 15pts – Top 6 D-man with size.
- Backup Goalie: 15pts – Full points for a goalie with NHL experience who can push Dubnyk
The Edmonton Oilers anounced today that they have signed 6’4, 219 pound defenceman Anton Belov to a one year entry level contract.
We can expect Belov to start in the top 6 next season and possibly see top 4 minutes throughout the season. He’s described as an excellent skater who can control the offensive game with his passing and hard shot but needs work on his defensive game. Continue reading